Christmas Trivia Quiz
Below is a “True/ False” Christmas Trivia Quiz, developed by the chaplains at the hospital where I work. See how many you get right. Click on the “Comments” below to read the answers in the first comment.
1. John’s Gospel names Bethlehem as the birthplace of the Messiah.
2. The name, “Jesus,” was not prophesied in the Old Testament; rather, it was given to Mary by the angel for the Christ-child.
3. The Bible does not provide any clues as to when Jesus was born.
4. Jesus was born in the year 1 A.D.
5. Gabriel was the angel who informed young Mary that she would miraculously conceive a child through the power of the Holy Spirit.
6. According to the Luke’s Gospel, the angel Gabriel told Joseph to not be afraid to take Mary as his wife.
7. The Bible says that Mary rode to Bethlehem while pregnant with Jesus on a donkey.
8. Angels announced Jesus’ birth to shep-herds in the fields nearby.
9. The Magi, or Wise Men, brought gifts to the newborn King on the night of His birth.
10. According to Matthew’s Gospel, the Magi brought gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.
11. According to the Bible, Jesus was circumcised on the 8th day of his life.
12. Simeon was the name of the righteous man who blessed Jesus in the temple in Jerusalem.
13. Herod was the evil King who ordered all male children under the age of 2 in Nazareth to be slaughtered in an attempt to kill Jesus.
14. Joseph and Mary fled to Egypt in the middle of the night after being warned by an angel in a dream.
15. Early Christians did not celebrate the birthday of Christ.
Posted on December 24, 2014, in Bible teaching and tagged Bible, birth, Christmas, faith, Jesus, quiz, religion, trivia. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.
1. True. See John 7:42
3. False. There are clues in Matthew’s reference to the historical King Herod and the time of a star, and in Luke’s Gospel references to who the rulers were at the time of His birth.
4. King Herod, who attempted to kill Jesus, died around 4 B.C. Thus Jesus must have been born by 4 B.C.
5. True. See Luke 1:26 and following.
6. False. The announcement to Joseph was in Matthew’s Gospel, and the angel is not named.
7. False. Although she may have ridden on a donkey, the Bible does not mention one.
8. True. See Luke 2:8-9.
9. False. Matthew 2:11 says they were already living in a house, and Jesus was a “child,” not a baby. Matthew 2:16 indicates that King Herod thought Jesus could have been up to two years old at the time the wise men visited.
10. True. See Matthew 2:11.
11. True. See Luke 2:21.
12. True. See Luke 2:25-32.
13. False. The slaughter of the innocents was in Bethlehem, not Nazareth. Matthew 2:16.
14. True. See Matthew 2:13-14.
15. True. The earliest known celebration of Jesus’ birthday was in the fourth century A.D. The New Testament itself never refers to celebrating Jesus’ birthday.