It’s near the end of September 2020, so I was just checking the monthly statistics on my blog, when I noticed a huge jump in the number of visitors on September 28. What’s going on? I wondered.
I noticed that most of the visitors were coming from Search Engines, so I wondered why people were searching for Bob Rogers. I knew that there is a Pentecostal preacher, Dr. Bob Rodgers, who is pastor of the 9,000-member Evangel World Prayer Center in Louisville, Kentucky. When I was a pastor in Georgia, our office sometimes got calls asking if I was he, and our secretary had to disappoint them: “He’s not that Bob Rodgers” (My family didn’t have enough money to put a “D” in Rogers.) There is also a prominent Assembly of God pastor in Texas named Bob Rogers.
In addition to the above, according to Wikipedia:
Bob Rogers may refer to:
- Bob Rogers (airman) (1921–2000), South African Air Force officer and Member of Parliament
- Bob Rogers (bobsleigh) (1923-1995), American Olympic bobsledder
- Bob Rogers (DJ) (born 1926), Australian radio disc jockey
- Bob Rogers (designer), founder and chairman of BRC Imagination Arts in the US
- Bob Rogers (novelist), American writer under the pennames of Lee Rogers, Jean Barrett, and Jean Thomas
- Bob Rogers (rower) (1934–2017), American athlete who competed at the 1960 Summer Olympics
And of course, I’m none of those people. But the answer was in that list above.
But this time, I noticed most of the visitors to my blog were coming from Australia! With a little searching myself, I soon learned that a radio disc jockey in Sydney, Australia, named Bob Rogers, announced his retirement after 78 years on the air. I mean, this dude toured with the Beatles, and was still on the radio! But at age 93, he said, “I think it’s time we gave the young fellows a bit of a go.”
I’m not that Bob Rogers, either, but I’m glad a learned about my namesake. He’s a pretty cool guy; and he spells Rogers correctly, too.
In case you came to this blog looking for the Aussie disc jockey Bob Rogers, you can read more about him here.